Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Good Bye Star Talkies

Star Talkies, one of the oldest theatres in Chennai is awaiting  demolition. In the 60's and 70's if you wanted to see a Hindi movie in Madras,the only option was Star Talkies (also called Star Theatre) on Triplicane High road. I have seen a couple of movies there, but do not recall which ones. In the later years they started screening  Tamil films too. I understand that the theatre closed down a few years ago. When I walked past the building last week,  it was  set for  complete demolition making way for another concrete and glass monster in this prime area. 


PS: An article in the HIndu says that the original theatre was built in 1916. So, the structure is 99 years old. Adieu Star.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the name but I don't think I have any seen any movies there.

    ReplyDelete